javaagent on websphere... And jolokia logging

TheStrom TheStrom

javaagent on websphere... And jolokia logging

Hi

I am having issues attaching the Jolokia agent on webshpere 8.x JVM - Anyone did this before ?.

- We are migrating from HP-BAC instrumentation, which also deploys as a javaagent (Java Instrumentation
  API ?) on the very same server... So my assumption is that he API is functional.

- Could the issue be related to the IBM specific JVM ? - Deploying jolokia as a .war works fine on the same
  server...

- Also: The javaagent approach works as expected on Tomcat

Also how would I go around debugging this issue ?, it seems Jolokia is very very quiet !... I am seriously puzzled as I can deploy the agent, and conclude that it binds to the port specfied. But when trying to reach the URL it just hangs until timeout :/.

Best regards
Torben
ptso ptso

Re: javaagent on websphere... And jolokia logging

Hi Torben,

I'm trying to do the same. I prefer the agent approach as some in our firm prefer not to deploy a war.
Have you made any progress? I'm having a slightly different problem as the agent exits shortly after running (see my post). I can't confirm if the agent is actually attaching to the jvm.

-Paul
TheStrom TheStrom

Re: javaagent on websphere... And jolokia logging

Hi Paul

Honestly: I am no longer on the project implementing this - However the finding were that the IBM JDK is not compatible with the molokai agent. Thus we had to fall back to the .war solution.

The HP-BAC though, seem to utilize a javaagent approach to bridge into JMX. Even on IBM JDK... However they do add some extra magic deps to jeg JVM in order to achieve this. Or at least it seems so...

We were quite a large organization, and I would have preferred implementing a generic JMX bridge on all of our JVM's. Seems that was not quite possible.

Best regards, Torben
ptso ptso

Re: javaagent on websphere... And jolokia logging

Hi Torben,

Thanks for your quick response! It prevented me from spending countless hours trying to get this to work.

-Paul