Jolokia with a more modern system (vs Nagios, even Icinga)

Steve Steve

Jolokia with a more modern system (vs Nagios, even Icinga)

I'm struggling to come up to speed with setting up jolokia on Icinga2. It's user error all the way for me; Java, JMX, and containers are no problem. But I'm finding the set up for Icinga2 and check_jmx4perl slow and a bit painful.

I'm wondering if there are other, newer more modern systems for monitoring other than Nagios and Icinga that still can leverage the great work in Jolokia?

Re: Jolokia with a more modern system (vs Nagios, even Icinga)

I confess setting up JMX Nagios check with check_jmx4perl is not as easy as it could be. Unfortunately there is some inherent complexity in configuring the various MBeans. You could try OMD (http://omdistro.org/) which is a one-stop distribution for setting up Nagios and it include a pre-installed jmx4perl installation and already some preconfigured checks.

Alternatively, if you don't need to stick to Jolokia, you could have a look to Prometheus which is a very modern and capable monitoring system with a JMX integration, a bit like Jolokia (but of course by far not so powerfult ;-P. See http://prometheus.io/ and https://github.com/prometheus/jmx_exporter

cheers ...